Peripatetic.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Still don't get it

I saw John Cage in college. He sat on the stage with a stop watch and at whatever intervals he had pre-determined he would make a noise. Not sing really, just a noise. Like a throat clearing. And everyone sat in the audience in silence and listened to this guy hack a globber. aHHHHHHHHHHCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK......

Then, all of a sudden I couldn't hold it in anymore and I started to laugh. I had one of those awful irresistible giggle-fit attacks. The whole thing just seemed so absurd.

To this day I can't decide if I'm embarrassed that I didn't get it and couldn't take it seriously, or if the whole thing is as stupid as it seemed.

(Link via Morning News)

No comments:

Links

  • Mail me at Will.Femia @ Gmail.com

Blog Archive