Caught WetNurse at the Knitting Factory this past weekend. Sorry, no pictures, I travelled light. They rocked. Real smart music. There are so many names for the variations of heavy metal, that I'm sure this kind has a name. What do you call it when the singer isn't afraid to stop singing so the band can play a bit? And the band plays tight "parts." There are probably music terms for "parts" but in bands where no one speaks that language, one might hear, "Play the fast part six times, and then the mosh part." And if you're in a band like WetNurse, they might say (I don't actually know what these guys say, I'm just saying what they might say), "Verse, chorus, then the tickatickticka part, then guitar solo, then the bongdiggabongdiggabongdigga part..." like that.
When the band does it nice and tight, it's like watching fireworks (with your ears).
The Voice called the singing schizophrenic, but that's how they all sing now, with some version of traditional singing on the verse (in this case usually falsetto) and hoarse woofing through the chorus (or vice versa). By far, my favorite person singng that style is Karyn Crisis. Crisis isn't really a "parts" band, but if you want your ass kicked, check that girl out.
Hey, one other note, in case you're going to the Tap Room at the KF for something. It's not a bad room (and when you're paying 5 bucks for a show you can't really complain about anything). There's no stage really, the bands just play over in the corner. That wasn't a problem for this show.
What did strike me was that I was paying $9 for Maker's Mark, and everyone else was taking advantage of the $3 beer special. So pay attention.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (190)
- ► 2008 (353)
- ► 2007 (1070)
- ► 2006 (1106)
- ► 2005 (718)
- Caged animal
- Checker parade
- Bye Dan
- This looks like salt in the photo, but it was liqu...
- Rosa was our waitress. Even though all of the wai...
- I took this before I realized it wasn't ridiculous...
- Slightly blurry view of Manhattan skyline from Fra...
- Nothing gets a geek off the computer like losing c...
- I could sit on this bench forever.
- As if the women needed a reason...
- Fixing a hole
- Otterness spotting
- Another one?!?!?
- What'd I miss?
- cornerstone quest
- Greening of the city
- WHAT THE???
- They cost $10
- 9/11 news means here comes the circus
- Trying this again bigger
- And this jasmine flower just popped. These things...
- And this is him under the rock
- I just realized that cat blogging is the equival...
- Guide to outdoor movies
- March down West side to Chambers
- Nice Siren photos
- Cru buzz is building!
- blowin' up downtown
- under 14th street
- The new Schwinn
- Of course I went
- The boardwalk was slammin'.
- In the category of "look how many people were th...
- It was funny how at a certain point in the day, ...
- I took this shot for the colors as well. There ar...
- The fellow on the right is showing his double rows...
- This fellow is putting a screwdriver up his nose.
- Everyone was excited to take a picture of the fell...
- The approach to the Stillwell Ave. stage. Nice sk...
- Siren Main Stage. Cyclone to the right, more rid...
- Cool junk
- cool junk
- new Blogger interface
- Cornerstone in the rain
- Trinity Boxing Club
- The ever changing face...
- Here! Here!
- the View
- The 4400
- something I actually did do
- Question of the day
- other Will
- not translating
- anticipating the coming theater
- Needless to say...
- To-Do tomorrow
- Prince is king
- Quick shot
- Left out of Hamilton coverage
- SoHo. Nice colors.
- Canal Street. The shadows are a bit too much to s...
- Cornerstone follow-up
- Urban survivalists
- try to make this work
- Wouldn't have to ask me twice
- Still don't get it
- Stadium has opponents downtown
- Guess they were serious
- There must be a trick
- That's not my city
- Best S.I. pizza?
- Ground Zero viewing secret
- OH NO!
- Destination OTB?
- BPC Bikes
- OH!!!! Nader blows it
- Clunky tool
- Parking violation?
- Not coming to Barneys any time soon.
- New theater downstairs
- This is from a few weeks ago at the Ten House ride...
- Ben's got a point
- meat rot stench
- A test of Will
- ▼ July (91)