We saw Prince play MSG tonight - a spectacular show. Two things surprised me. One is that we just saw Eric Clapton play a few weeks ago in the same place, and the show even had a similar format, mixing in old classics and taking a break in the middle of the show for an acoustic interlude. What was most remarkable about Clapton's playing was the sheer precision of his finger movement. The guy is textbook and so clean.
But after seen Prince tonight, I'm thinking that cleanliness might have been bordering on sterile. Prince's playing was positively sultry. His blues riffs were more soulful, more melodic. Clapton fans, you might want to sit down... I think Prince is a better guitar player. A little bit messy, not quite as much control, but all around better I think.
Surprise number 2, although I guess it shouldn't have surprised me, Prince has a huge hottie following.
Bonus suprise... y'know how sometimes at big shows you can't help but watch the screens instead of the stage because the picture is easier to see and, let's face it, we're pretty accustomed to staring at screens? Well for this show I hardly looked at the big screens at all. Prince is that watchable.
Meanwhile, this is the second show I've been to where I wished I'd brought my camera. For some reason I feel like I learned that you're not allowed to bring cameras to an event like that, but there were tons of cameras flashing in there, not to mention camera phones. They check bags on the way in, but I didn't see them confiscating anything (at least, not cameras).
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (190)
- ► 2008 (353)
- ► 2007 (1070)
- ► 2006 (1106)
- ► 2005 (718)
- Caged animal
- Checker parade
- Bye Dan
- This looks like salt in the photo, but it was liqu...
- Rosa was our waitress. Even though all of the wai...
- I took this before I realized it wasn't ridiculous...
- Slightly blurry view of Manhattan skyline from Fra...
- Nothing gets a geek off the computer like losing c...
- I could sit on this bench forever.
- As if the women needed a reason...
- Fixing a hole
- Otterness spotting
- Another one?!?!?
- What'd I miss?
- cornerstone quest
- Greening of the city
- WHAT THE???
- They cost $10
- 9/11 news means here comes the circus
- Trying this again bigger
- And this jasmine flower just popped. These things...
- And this is him under the rock
- I just realized that cat blogging is the equival...
- Guide to outdoor movies
- March down West side to Chambers
- Nice Siren photos
- Cru buzz is building!
- blowin' up downtown
- under 14th street
- The new Schwinn
- Of course I went
- The boardwalk was slammin'.
- In the category of "look how many people were th...
- It was funny how at a certain point in the day, ...
- I took this shot for the colors as well. There ar...
- The fellow on the right is showing his double rows...
- This fellow is putting a screwdriver up his nose.
- Everyone was excited to take a picture of the fell...
- The approach to the Stillwell Ave. stage. Nice sk...
- Siren Main Stage. Cyclone to the right, more rid...
- Cool junk
- cool junk
- new Blogger interface
- Cornerstone in the rain
- Trinity Boxing Club
- The ever changing face...
- Here! Here!
- the View
- The 4400
- something I actually did do
- Question of the day
- other Will
- not translating
- anticipating the coming theater
- Needless to say...
- To-Do tomorrow
- Prince is king
- Quick shot
- Left out of Hamilton coverage
- SoHo. Nice colors.
- Canal Street. The shadows are a bit too much to s...
- Cornerstone follow-up
- Urban survivalists
- try to make this work
- Wouldn't have to ask me twice
- Still don't get it
- Stadium has opponents downtown
- Guess they were serious
- There must be a trick
- That's not my city
- Best S.I. pizza?
- Ground Zero viewing secret
- OH NO!
- Destination OTB?
- BPC Bikes
- OH!!!! Nader blows it
- Clunky tool
- Parking violation?
- Not coming to Barneys any time soon.
- New theater downstairs
- This is from a few weeks ago at the Ten House ride...
- Ben's got a point
- meat rot stench
- A test of Will
- ▼ July (91)