Had dinner at Pao! this weekend. Thumbs up. Steak in the cream port sauce was excellent (accompanied by homemade potato chips and some pureed spinach mush, yum). The wife had the pork and clams in a peppery/oily sauce, also good, although picking off her plate while eating from mind didn't really mix well.
I started with a salmon tart with carmelized apples on top and onions underneath. It was outstanding. I dont' know if tart is the right word for it though, for some reason "tart" makes me imagine there's some kind of pastry involved and there wasn't.
The waiter told us the wrong soup special, but my wife took what he did have (carrot soup) and it too was very good. To his credit, the waiter felt bad about the mistake and gave us a free extra glass of wine. We weren't even upset about it, so it wasn't like one of those asshole freebies, it was genuine. (By the way, they have a wine list that is inscrutable to someone like me, but the mid-bodied offering by the glass was still quite bold and only 6 bucks a glass -when you're not getting them for free.)
What should not be left out is that we were there at sunset and the city is empty and the weather was beautiful and the day was relaxed and the bartender was happily whistling along with the Portuguese music as he prepared for the night time drinking crowd. Down the street the staff at the fancy Italian restaurant were playing soccer in the street and laughing and having fun. It's hard to have a bad meal in these conditions.
That corner is great by the way. You can't lose at Greenwich and Spring.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (190)
- ► 2008 (353)
- ► 2007 (1070)
- ► 2006 (1106)
- ► 2005 (718)
- Caged animal
- Checker parade
- Bye Dan
- This looks like salt in the photo, but it was liqu...
- Rosa was our waitress. Even though all of the wai...
- I took this before I realized it wasn't ridiculous...
- Slightly blurry view of Manhattan skyline from Fra...
- Nothing gets a geek off the computer like losing c...
- I could sit on this bench forever.
- As if the women needed a reason...
- Fixing a hole
- Otterness spotting
- Another one?!?!?
- What'd I miss?
- cornerstone quest
- Greening of the city
- WHAT THE???
- They cost $10
- 9/11 news means here comes the circus
- Trying this again bigger
- And this jasmine flower just popped. These things...
- And this is him under the rock
- I just realized that cat blogging is the equival...
- Guide to outdoor movies
- March down West side to Chambers
- Nice Siren photos
- Cru buzz is building!
- blowin' up downtown
- under 14th street
- The new Schwinn
- Of course I went
- The boardwalk was slammin'.
- In the category of "look how many people were th...
- It was funny how at a certain point in the day, ...
- I took this shot for the colors as well. There ar...
- The fellow on the right is showing his double rows...
- This fellow is putting a screwdriver up his nose.
- Everyone was excited to take a picture of the fell...
- The approach to the Stillwell Ave. stage. Nice sk...
- Siren Main Stage. Cyclone to the right, more rid...
- Cool junk
- cool junk
- new Blogger interface
- Cornerstone in the rain
- Trinity Boxing Club
- The ever changing face...
- Here! Here!
- the View
- The 4400
- something I actually did do
- Question of the day
- other Will
- not translating
- anticipating the coming theater
- Needless to say...
- To-Do tomorrow
- Prince is king
- Quick shot
- Left out of Hamilton coverage
- SoHo. Nice colors.
- Canal Street. The shadows are a bit too much to s...
- Cornerstone follow-up
- Urban survivalists
- try to make this work
- Wouldn't have to ask me twice
- Still don't get it
- Stadium has opponents downtown
- Guess they were serious
- There must be a trick
- That's not my city
- Best S.I. pizza?
- Ground Zero viewing secret
- OH NO!
- Destination OTB?
- BPC Bikes
- OH!!!! Nader blows it
- Clunky tool
- Parking violation?
- Not coming to Barneys any time soon.
- New theater downstairs
- This is from a few weeks ago at the Ten House ride...
- Ben's got a point
- meat rot stench
- A test of Will
- ▼ July (91)