As I promised earlier in the week, I went to see what I could see regarding the new WTC cornerstone today.
First I went up the Vesey Street pedestrian bridge. There was a small gaggle of tourists at the top of the stairs. I'm not sure how many of them were trying to see the stone and how many just wanted to look into the hole. Here's what you see from there:
It's almost like they didn't want anyone to see the cornerstone because they put up that orange screen that's just tall enough to block the view of the stone.
I didn't try all the views from all the way around the site, but I believe the NYTimes reporter who said that was the only place to see it. You'd have to be up pretty high to get the angle right from any other place around the site.
Next I went downstairs in the PATH station. I should point out that on the way down (at the subway level) there was a tourist with a video camera getting yelled at by a security guard for taping the view of the north side wall, so they're not too crazy about taking photos down there.
To see anything I had to go through the turnstyle (you can use your pay-to-play metro card) and onto the platform on the end. Unfortunately, you can still only see it through a screen, and even then, you're looking at the rough side, not the side with the inscription:
But, as I speculated, if you actually got on an outbound train like the one in the picture below, and took the short trip to NJ, the track clearly turns in such a way as to provide a good view of the good side of the stone.
Maybe this winter when the bike is in storage and I'm back to commuting on the PATH (and if there's been no further construction progress) I'll get that shot as well.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.
- ► 2011 (109)
- ► 2010 (168)
- ► 2009 (190)
- ► 2008 (353)
- ► 2007 (1070)
- ► 2006 (1106)
- ► 2005 (718)
- Caged animal
- Checker parade
- Bye Dan
- This looks like salt in the photo, but it was liqu...
- Rosa was our waitress. Even though all of the wai...
- I took this before I realized it wasn't ridiculous...
- Slightly blurry view of Manhattan skyline from Fra...
- Nothing gets a geek off the computer like losing c...
- I could sit on this bench forever.
- As if the women needed a reason...
- Fixing a hole
- Otterness spotting
- Another one?!?!?
- What'd I miss?
- cornerstone quest
- Greening of the city
- WHAT THE???
- They cost $10
- 9/11 news means here comes the circus
- Trying this again bigger
- And this jasmine flower just popped. These things...
- And this is him under the rock
- I just realized that cat blogging is the equival...
- Guide to outdoor movies
- March down West side to Chambers
- Nice Siren photos
- Cru buzz is building!
- blowin' up downtown
- under 14th street
- The new Schwinn
- Of course I went
- The boardwalk was slammin'.
- In the category of "look how many people were th...
- It was funny how at a certain point in the day, ...
- I took this shot for the colors as well. There ar...
- The fellow on the right is showing his double rows...
- This fellow is putting a screwdriver up his nose.
- Everyone was excited to take a picture of the fell...
- The approach to the Stillwell Ave. stage. Nice sk...
- Siren Main Stage. Cyclone to the right, more rid...
- Cool junk
- cool junk
- new Blogger interface
- Cornerstone in the rain
- Trinity Boxing Club
- The ever changing face...
- Here! Here!
- the View
- The 4400
- something I actually did do
- Question of the day
- other Will
- not translating
- anticipating the coming theater
- Needless to say...
- To-Do tomorrow
- Prince is king
- Quick shot
- Left out of Hamilton coverage
- SoHo. Nice colors.
- Canal Street. The shadows are a bit too much to s...
- Cornerstone follow-up
- Urban survivalists
- try to make this work
- Wouldn't have to ask me twice
- Still don't get it
- Stadium has opponents downtown
- Guess they were serious
- There must be a trick
- That's not my city
- Best S.I. pizza?
- Ground Zero viewing secret
- OH NO!
- Destination OTB?
- BPC Bikes
- OH!!!! Nader blows it
- Clunky tool
- Parking violation?
- Not coming to Barneys any time soon.
- New theater downstairs
- This is from a few weeks ago at the Ten House ride...
- Ben's got a point
- meat rot stench
- A test of Will
- ▼ July (91)