Peripatetic.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Signs signs


P. J. Clarke's coming to World Financial Center marina this summer. As I recall, the place that was there before was called Moran's, but I don't think it was related to the one up on 10th in the teens. I ate there once, but only had a chef salad.

94 Greenwich now has a sign, Cafe Bravo. I don't know, does that sound like another deli? I'm clinging to the belief that it'll be a cafe as in coffee house, not cafe as in steam tables.

George's sign going up. Not a bad one. "established 1950" It's not the old one though. I wish I had a photo, but the old one was a huge orange neon job that wrapped around the corner. "George's and Sons Luncheonette" I think, with something like "sandwiches" and "orange juice" written smaller. I think the sign survived 9/11, but there was a bad storm not long afterward with high winds that broke the neon.

UPDATE: Huge thanks to the commenter who left this link showing the orginal George & Sons sign. Wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can see a picture of the original George's on the New York Public Library digital database, which is an incredibly cool place to find local images. I found this one by simply doing a search for "Rector" and "Trinity":
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=260434&imageID=503501&word=rector%20trinity&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=12&num=0&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=6#

Will said...

Wow, that is really great! Thanks for the tip. I added a photo from 1929 to my earlier entry about 94 Greenwich Street too.

Links

  • Mail me at Will.Femia @ Gmail.com

Blog Archive