Peripatetic.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Everything Store

I had to get passport photos done to renew my passport, so I went on a bit of a quest. "Passport Photos" is a sign that's so common that it's easy to ignore. I could picture it in my mind, but I couldn't quite place where I'd seen one. Fulton Street felt like I'd the kind of place where one would be, and sure enough there was. But this wasn't just a photo place. All of those things on the sign are true. I has jewelry, piercing, tanning, tattooing, nail salon, clothing, barber shop...

I was amazed. I thought they just sold hats and sunglasses and those wobbly balls with the fake racoon tail attached. It was also interesting to note that the guy on line in front of me at the camera counter bought a stack of 10 books of 9/11 photos. The real business for that camera place is using its photo machines to churn out 9/11 photos. They have to come from somewhere, so I guess it makes sense that they come from a local place. I wonder how many people brought their film to be developed at this place only to have their pictures end up in tourist books for the rest of time.

By the way, passport photos are 2 for 6 bucks.


No comments:

Links

  • Mail me at Will.Femia @ Gmail.com

Blog Archive