Peripatetic.
Click 'em to see 'em bigger.
Scroll way down for archives and stuff.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

When did they put that there?


This is more than you want to read on a photoblog, but since I did the research I might as well post it.

With the all the discussion of whether a Home Depot in Hudson Square would sound the death kneel for small hardware stores in Lower Manhattan, I was suprised to get that "when did they put that there?" feeling as I passed a small hardware store at Church and Chambers. It looks new and I don't remember it being there before. Sure enough, The Real Deal shows it having a lease issue date of March 2006: "Hardware store signs five-year lease with one five-year option for its fifth location. The space also has a 400-square-foot basement. The store expects to open in spring 2006." So I guess they're ahead of schedule. Basics Plus is a local NYC chain with 5 stores. I'm not saying it won't get clobbered by Home Depot, but still, how often do you see a small local hardware store open?

P.S. It used to be a gift shop.

No comments:

Links

  • Mail me at Will.Femia @ Gmail.com

Blog Archive